Quakers have a long history of advocating peace and a high standard of truth and equality. Quakers in Britain employ an Edinburgh-based Parliamentary Engagement Officer to carry on with this work in the Scottish Parliament at Holyrood. This position is currently vacant, but Grace Da Costa is acting in this role - see the Contact us page.
The officer's work is overseen by the Parliamentary Engagement Working Group which has one representative from each Area Meeting on it.
The priorities are:
Other areas which have received attention are
- Prisoner Voting Rights
- Children’s Rights
- The Arms Trade
Members of the Parliamentary Engagement Working Group are:
- Joyce Taylor (Convenor)
- Martin Mansell and Ed Tyler (West Scotland AM)
- Martin Pippard (East of Scotland AM)
- Rosemary Hartill (South East Scotland AM)
- William Purser (North Scotland AM)
- Carolyn Burch (East of Scotland AM)
- Richard Raggett (East of Scotland AM)