Edinburgh Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria Terrace from Victoria Street
Doors open day 2020 - Edinburgh Quaker Meeting House
Saturday, 26 September 2020
Covid-19 has meant that Edinburgh Doors Open Day has moved online in 2020 - so welcome to our virtual tour, which shows you around the meeting house, and gives a flavour of how we use the building, and Quaker beliefs. There's also more information about the history of the building and the history of Quakers in Edinburgh.
About the meeting house
Edinburgh’s Quaker Meeting House was built as the United Original Secession Church in 1865. The building was sold to the Boys Brigade in 1956 and was then modified by Basil Spence Architects. It has been in Quaker hands since 1987. It stands at the foot of Upper Bow, on Victoria Terrace, enjoying views of Victoria Street and across the city towards the Pentlands. The exterior is a fine example of Italian Revival style. The Meeting House is well-used by Quakers, the wider community and as the Venue 40 Fringe venue.
- Quakers in Edinburgh and the Edinburgh Quaker Meeting House,7 Victoria Terrace [PDF leaflet]
- A brief history of Quakers in Edinburgh
- Architectural information about the Quaker Meeting House [PDF]